North Central High School in MSD Washington Township and Goshen High School in Goshen Community Schools are among the top 20 best public high schools in Indiana. North Central ranked #7 and Goshen High School rounded out the top 20 list.
According to the study done by Niche, the best public high school ranking is based on rigorous analysis of key statistics and millions of reviews from students and parents using data from the U.S. Department of Education. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality and high school ratings. The academics grade gets the highest weight, accounting for half of the school rank. The remaining areas listed below, share the remaining 50% that determines the school’s rank:
- Culture and diversity – based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents
- Health and safety – based on student attendance, suspension/expulsion data, and survey responses on the school environment from parents and students
- Parent and student surveys on overall experience – based on a Niche survey response scored on a 1-5 scale regarding overall experience of students and parents from the school
- Teachers – based on teacher salary, teacher absenteeism, state test results, and teacher survey results,
- Resources and facilities – based on expense per student, staffing, and survey responses on facilities from students and parents
- Clubs and activities – based on expenses per student and survey responses on clubs and activities from students and parents
- Sports – based on number of sports, participation, and survey responses on athletics and athletic facilities from students and parents.